Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Flight Cap pattern

Hi there,
This is my first post here, but I've been watching for several months now. I was wondering if anyone might have a scanned copy of the flight cap (military style hat, especially used by those in the Air Force with Class A and Class B uniforms) pattern that came out with a costume pattern from Simplicity (or was it McCalls?) a while back. From what I rememeber of the cover image, it was a military uniform pattern (as worn by female performers during WW2, I believe) with the flight cap/hat and one of those Copa Cabana type skirts and mid-drifts (that the women dancers would wear with the fruit on a hat). I just need the hat pattern for a costume project I am doing (it's ok if it's scanned a little smaller than it's supposed to be, that works out better for what I need it to do). Or if anyone has a tutorial on how to make those style hats, that would work as well. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!


( 2 comments — Leave a comment )
(Deleted comment)
Jan. 1st, 2007 04:06 am (UTC)
Thanks for the response ^___^
Um, I guess it's that one (it kind of reminds me of what the old donut shop workers used to use). It folds flat when you take it off, only fits on about 1/3 of the head...ah, here's a picture:

Pretty much I'm working on this character's costume and this hat has been the main thing holding me back from fully completing it (The reason I need a pattern for it is that I'm going to need to make it in black, and I need to make 13 of them for a group I'm a part of). It's a little smaller than the traditional military ones, and I had tried modifying one that I bought at an Army Surplus store... size wise it kind of worked (I had to take in about 2 inches from the back), but it wouldn't take the black dye (I had to use black spray paint and it ruined the texture, feel, and color).

Thanks again for responding and I hope that, indeed, it is the hat you have. ^____^
Jan. 2nd, 2007 12:56 am (UTC)
Re: Thanks for the response ^___^
I don't know if this helps or not, but that type of hat is called an "overseas cap". Maybe that might help you narrow your search down a bit.
( 2 comments — Leave a comment )