I've been working on this since Feb, finished last week. I bought a plain dress and designed, cut out and appliqued some fabric beetle shapes with Bondaweb (fusible interfacing). After the basic shapes were all ironed on, I edged in buttonhole stitch, embroidered on the legs and details freehand using a bunch of other stitches as well as a bit of beadwork here and there.
It ended up being one massive sampler!
Next time I think I might use some guidelines to stitch on, as I ended up doing a lot of unpicking this way! Also I think an embroidery hoop might have been an idea, but as I appliqued everything on first I didn't want to undo the fusible interfacing attachment.
The whole project, with more close-ups than anyone needs, is here.
Cross-posted to a couple of other groups.